El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

El Maco: Gracias McDonald's

I literally just received an e-mail from a reader pointing me to the McDonald's Australia website claiming to have the "best commercial you will ever see." Lo mejor? Really?

"I don't want to give it away before you see it, but it involves a mustached, Mexican mariachi player climbing out of a white guy."

I'm intrigued.

"Oh, I almost forgot the best part. Their tag-line is: Feed your inner Mexican."

Should I feed my inner Mexican? Am I ready for this?

This line made me stare at my screen for quite some time with a smile on my face. This could become my favorite commercial.

Their website isn't link friendly, so I'm going to give you the instructions given to me:

1. Go to http://www.mcdonalds.com.au/
2. Click on the Broadband button on the left side.
3. It will take a bit to load. Sometimes it's faster than other times....
4. Move your mouse over to the light bulb that says: What's New and click on it.
5. A picture of the EL MACO should appear. Click on the right hand corner where it says Latest TV ADS.
6. You will then be taken to another screen where several ad names are listed. Click on "El Maco."
7. Click on pllay.

They should maybe start to sell pupusas in Australia. The TV ad could show a crocodile wrestler with crocodile boots and clothing having an extremely good looking Guatemalan man step out of him. Tag Line: Feed your inner Guatemalan. Pupusa.

Dear McDonald's, please, please, please sell the El Maco in the United States. Sure, I know that many Hispanic rights groups will come at you faster than an Argentinean running from water, but I must taste this. Why must the Australians be the only ones who can feed their inner Mexican? I DEMAND that you allow me to feed my inner Mexican! El Maco... The best name for a sandwich, EVER.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

18 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Could I have a maracas player inside of me, then I could walk around with the equivalent of Mexican Ben Wah balls or something.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Uh oh... :::dragging tiny chair to corner:::

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How strange! I first noticed the El Maco phenomenon in Sweden (of all places) back in October 2004. In what was an otherwise boring week, it gave me something to smile about.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Australia and I have fead my inner Mexican. He was not paticularly satisfied by the El Maco.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Student said...

A better advert could be a slim guy or woman with an enormous obese guy/woman climbing out of them. The slogan could be feed your inner fat man.

Or you could have a doctor stood next to a ferrari and the tag could be feed your doctors bank with the money you are paying for stomach stapling!

McDonalds can lick my bag, it probably has mor vitamin content than their food anyway.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger The Rev said...

First of all, what's with all the instructions at the beginning of the McDonalds site? They feel the need to run this "how to use their site" thing while their page is loading. Like it's some sort of important thing to know. I'm going there to read about hamburgers, not apply for a mortgage.

Secondly, that sandwich reminds me of something Taco Bell had when I was a kid. Taco Bell once had sandwiches, one of which they called a "Bell Beefer". It was basically a sloppy joe. And me being a dumb white kid, I thought I was eating Mexican food.

Thirdly, that ad would definitely piss off immigration groups in America. They would think the ad was making fun of Mexicans who are trying to cross the border by hiding in compartments. It works in Australia though.

All that being said, I would eat an El Maco at least once. I'm all about international food experiences.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Strangely enough, given the ancestry of the name, I've never seen the slogan "Feed your inner Scotsman"

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I just voluntarily watched a McDonald's ad. Only for you, El Guapo.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said...

Wasn't it worth it? Come on. A mariachi player climbed out of a white guy.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Raincouver said...

"the haggis bigmac"... nah... I don't think that would sell.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger *** said...

I have enough trouble feeding my outer mexican.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger C'est la vie!! said...

:X :X Ok...hmm....being a Mexicana...I uhmm...where do I begin...let's just say that there are better ways to satisfy your inner Mexican...maybe, perhaps by eating a Mexicana heheheh jk...ok that was gross....

one more thing, of all the most handsome Mexican men in the world...they went on and hired a short, fat, bigoton, mexicano... :-P

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Mexican friend who has actually scored with the following pickup line:

Him: You look like you have a little Mexican in you.

Her: Um, no...

Him: Would you like one?

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. El Guapo,
After reading your many posts concerning the delicious pupusa, I ordered one in a restaurant. It was a quick service place - not quite fast food, you know the kind - called Taco Cabana. Do you have those in the District of Columbia? Anyway, I think they are doing it wrong because the pupusa was only OK, not stupendous.
Faithful Reader

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porque corren del agua los Argentinos?

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude.. im mexican, and living n sydney at the moment, and le me tell you, El Maco is not a big thing, i would say not even regular, funny Ad though...
saludos Mr Guapo

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

We just moved to Australia from Texas. I was just about to post about this commercial and so I googled it and your site came up.

First, I have to admit it IS funny if you are from Texas, in a politically incorrect sort of way. Second, I can't ever see McDonald's playing this in Texas. Third, I can't ever see anyone buying an El Maco in Texas. Yuck!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.slashfood.com/category/super-size-me/

did you see your mention?

DC blogger El Guapo recently pointed out an ad for McDonald's Australia's new El Maco, a Big Mac variation with taco sauce and sour cream. Salsa on a burger, no big deal, right? Well, it's all about the ad, which features a mustachioed man in mariachi garb emerging Ridley-Scott-style out of the torso of some office drone. The mariachi then hightails it over to McD's and scores an El Maco. A voice-over then encourages you to "feed your inner Mexican." To see the ad, go to the broadband section of the Australian site, go to "What's NEW" and then to "LATEST TV ADS." There's a similar ad for feeding your inner child where a little girl emerges from door in her mother's stomach, but it's tame compared to the El Maco ad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home