El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Latino Humor

One of the things that greatly separate the Latino people from the rest of the world is our unique sense of humor. It has always interested me that regardless of the country of origin, the Latino sense of humor is something that carries over across borders and beliefs.

And frankly, I think it is only fair that we all share something in common because I’m tired of everyone being so jealous of the far superior Guatemalan beauty.

What is it about our humor that intertwines all Spanish/Portuguese speakers south of Texas? We tease.

Si, we tease. This is something that sometimes causes problems with our gringo friends because they do not understand that we mean no harm through our teasing. We tease because we love.

I have a Brazilian friend who refers to everyone south of Texas as ‘Mexican’. If we happen to be watching something on television about Guatemala, he will say something along the lines of, “El Guapo, I’m not sure what you Mexicans are thinking, but you are all crazy.”

If a gringo heard this comment, he may think that my Brazilian friend is being a bit racist, but no. He is far from being racist. He is actually making fun of the American ignorance of believing that everyone South of Texas is actually ‘Mexican.’ It is funny. Laugh.

Our way of building camaraderie is done through a little tease here and there. A playful nudge. We mean no harm. It is only a tease.

We love nicknames. We love them. Love them more than anything in the world. Our nicknames make life more fun for everyone around us. If you have a large group of Latino friends, chances are you have a nickname. The way we develop our nicknames is actually an art form. We usually do one of two things: Take a feature/flaw and call you by that feature or flaw OR we Take a feature/flaw and call you the complete opposite of that.

Example? Miguel has a friend who has a large forehead. It is not something that makes people turn around when he walks down the street, but I’m pretty sure that I could project a movie off of his forehead if I wanted. Nickname: Testudo. From the Spanish word Testa = Forehead/Head. Simple and beautiful.

Another is a friend who has very suddenly gained weight. Nickname: Botón/Buttons Porque? Because Miguel told me that he has, on many occasions, heard the buttons on his shirt cry out loud from the pressure of his stomach.

“I have heard the buttons cry to me. They are in constant fear of flying across the room!”

There is very little that is off limits in the Latino humor except sisters and mothers. In some very specific cases, a sister joke can be made, but you must be almost best friends with the person. Mother jokes are off limits. Period. In the Latino culture, the mother is a saint and held above all else.

Now, if you read this blog on a somewhat regular basis, you know that I litter my posts comments on the Argentines. Do I do this because I love them deep down? No. Not at all. I do that because Argentina fancy themselves THE MAN and enjoy to keep the rest of Latin America down. I am simply the voice of reason in the form of a Mayan deity who just happens to have a mustache so lustrous that it melts snow.

Don’t cry Argentina. Don’t cry.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

17 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger Fascinacion said...

Argentineans and Chileans, both think they are aristocracy… must be contagious b/c it spreads to those who do not have the unfortunate luck to have been borne in Argentina, but lived there too long and think they are THE MAN.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU are the man El Guapo. YOU. Don't forget that.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

I think our national anthem says it all:

"Y los libres del mundo responden:
"Al gran pueblo argentino, ¡salud!"

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arjewtino, great post on your blog, and Guapo, awesome retort!

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicknaming is fun! mi amigo/as call me "china" (chee-na) and it's hilarious . . .

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Namaste said...

Same is true in Italian culture. I have an Uncle "Gooch", an Uncle "Flinto" (after the Flinstones), and Auntie "Garmie" (not sure where that came from)...a cousin called Duke-after Duke Ellington...(because he was so pimp with the ladiez)...

I love how latinos never fail to have a good laugh.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Phil said...

My nickname growing up? "Phil".

It stuck.

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no visible e-mail address so I figured I would leave this here. I saw this and thought of you.


http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=iol1169459608518P652

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guapo, Arjewtino's facial hair is hot! You need to post your pic so we can compare and determine who's moustache is the best....

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories...In high school in Mexico City, every person in the school bus (including the driver) was bestowed with a nickname!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger La Cubana Gringa said...

i'm with mariah! reveal the bigote!!!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can dig what you're saying El. My family and close friends call me Limpy. I don't mind because it separates me from the herd. I love your blog!
:)

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so does your nickname refer to your features, or the opposite?

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger C'est la vie!! said...

true about the nicknames:

I am short so my nickname is Chapis for chaparra (short)...

I suppose urs is bigoton :P and show us what u got :P

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

It sounds a lot like the Filipino sense of humor. Must be from all those crazy Spaniards taking over our land. (I have an uncle nicknames "Itlog," which means egg. This is doubly hilarious because he has some kind of elaphantitis of his balls AND he sells eggs/chickens in my mom's hometown.)

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a while to get used to the nicknames in Chile -- "Gordita," "Peludo" (or is it "Pelado?"), "Pancho," "Negrito," etc. And when my co-workers called me "Gordita" as a term of affection, it was a little hard to take...

Maybe it wasn't affection.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Gee said...

i came across this funny site www.siestatees.com thought i'd share it, since it relates to post.
funny shirts vato!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home