El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My Mr. Wendal

I hate the nighttime. I fucking hate the nighttime. Too much quiet. Too much darkness. To much time to think. I’m tired of thinking. Fuck thinking.

Tonight, the moon was out and it seemed like a good night to go for a walk. It seemed like a good night to go walking when it was too cold, too dark and too late to run into anyone. A perfect night to go out for a walk.

The steps on the sidewalk sound different when it’s cold. The leather soles seem to stay less time on the ground as they step away from the cold. With the wind blowing in your uncovered ears, you suddenly begin to walk to the beat of whatever song is playing in your mind. The Ramones, for some reason, are in my mind. I do, however, want to be sedated.

“Brotha’ man. You got a dollar?”

Brother man. I have, for some odd reason, always wanted to be called “brotha’ man.” I saw the gentleman trying to escape the wind in a doorway of a boarded up house. Brother man. I think it was that Arrested Development song from a long time ago.

I gave him a twenty.

“Damn son. A twenty? I was gonna say “penny for thoughts”, but I ain’t got the time.”

I chuckled. I did.

No worries mi amigo. Buy something warm. I wish I had more, but that is all I have.

I show him my empty wallet.

“Don’t be taking out your wallet boy! You some kind of fool?”

Yes. The best kind.

“Boy the moon is out tonight! You best be careful.”

Yes sir. It’s time I go home. God bless you.

I haven’t asked God to bless anyone in a long time, but it just came out of my mouth. Strange.

“Thank you brother. Remember, life is gonna happen no matter what you want. It just gonna happen. No sense in fightin’ it. Just let it happen and try to smile as much as you can. Ain’t all dark corners out there.”

This coming from a man who was now escaping the wind in a doorway. Ain’t all dark corners out there…

He’s right.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

12 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Strider said...

Your blog is very interesting. I will be watching for more developments.

 
At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear El Guapo:

Yes, I too get tired of all the "thinking" going on in my head and the long dark nights. But I'm in California where the blossoms are blowing off the trees. So the evening walks I go on are to blow the
thoughts of the day out of my mind ... reading your blog always helps. Wish I had a west coast El Guapo with your mind and heart *kiss*

The post was beautiful.

from CA

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Sometimes we are the hero of our story and sometimes we are the bit-part player in someone else's

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger La Cubana Gringa said...

Loved this! The idealist in me wants to give money to a homeless person but the realist in me always gives food instead. It looks like you did the right thing here!

A solid piece of advice as well! Hope the dark corners start to lighten up for you soon!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger sany said...

Is it strange to think someone totally beautiful, just from reading stuffs from his blog?

:)

You're totally beautiful. (hooray!)

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah. i liked the way this was written.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Namaste said...

And it was out of my head until this post.

Good one, though.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger you'dneverguess said...

It's not all dark corners, thank God! Hard to remember that sometimes, thanks for the reminder.
I once bought a man a sandwich who asked me for some money on my way into the grocery store. I asked him if he was hungry and he said yes. On my way out I gave him the sandwich and told him I'd keep him in my prayers. He told me to pray for God to keep his demons away. I'll never forget him, and still pray for him.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger emeralda said...

money wont buy me love

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on El Guapo, you already gave that twenty to the guy who stole your necklace after you knocked him down and stole it back, remember? sometimes the self-glory thing gets a little irritating..

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said...

I'll start carrying around more 10's.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah -- nice.

Solid stuff in the main entry too. Some of (okay, most of) the comments here are over the top and therefore probably hard for you to take totally seriously. But your sh!t is really really good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home