El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Taxi: Soup anyone? ;-)

“El Guapo, you’re so lucky. You’re tan all year round! You just have that exotic look about you.”

Ah, the exotic look. Yes, I am very lucky. You call it “exotic”. I call it “cabs won’t pick me up at night.”

Miguel was with me and I partly blame him. In order to “blend” he popped up the collar on his flannel shirt.

Gracias to the girls outside the club who offered to hail a cab for us. You may have gotten confused because Miguel was talking about making soup. He’s an idiota and doesn’t yet realize that Spanish slang doesn’t translate into English.

“Um, do you guys want us to hail you a cab?”

Thank you. We’ll be ok.

“Those guys are all dickheads. They don’t stop for me sometimes.”

Yes, we’re used to it.

“Ay, mami. I would like to make you soup.”

“Um, what?”

Please forgive my friend. He suffers from being an idiota.

“Did he just say he wanted to make me soup? Is he a cook or something?”

“Si. I make the best soup ever.”

Miguel, come on hombre.

“Why is he bragging about his cooking ability?”

I’m sorry. Miguel is an idiot. (I then whispered in her ear that he is angry for having syphilis.)

You see, Miguel was trying to literally translate: Te voy hacer la sopa.

I will let you Google this. Miguel is a true idiot. God bless him for trying.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

16 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

jejeje

methinks the Spanglish translation uses "venir"

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Dennis! said...

Okay, I don't think online translation services do slang very well. I'm just going to presume that the phrase isn't very nice....

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Jamy said...

I guessed what it was and my google search confirmed it. Try harder, folks.

In all those years of college Spanish, they never taught me anything like that. Then again, mi profesora was from Espana.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, guapo, de donde eres?
i'm latina and thinking there must be something wrong with me 'cause i've never heard 'hacer la sopa' before..

just started reading your blog a couple of days ago.. very funny.. :)

nos vemos!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops.. never mind.. just read monday's blog.. guatemala, got it..
-----
regarding that blog..
yes.. daddy yankee's gasolina is great.. but i'm so tired of it already (as a rican still living in PR when that song came out, i heard it on the radio every five minutes - all this before it hit the states - blech!!)
-----
and, yes, we drive like lunatics..

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Roar Savage said...

OMG! The 2nd entry on google, when you type that phrase in, reads: "Spanish Idioms" and says exactly what that means without having to click on it... I'm at work! I'm still blushing.

But at least Miguel has the right idea...

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Guatemalan and have never heard of that expression before.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said...

No pienso que that expression is Guatemalan. I don't know where he heard it. I think it's in a song. Not in "Gasolina", so I don't know where he could have heard it....

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Namaste said...

I know what that means! And I LOVE it!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger La'Tina said...

sopa de caracol???

la de mezclados! gwahhh. i love that miguel tried to pop his collar, a flannel no doubt!!!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sterculian Rhetoric said...

Guatemala?
I see you speak Spanish.
Do you speak any of the Mayan Languages?

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Sterculian Rhetoric said...

'Bajar al pozo' is to be preferred if a bit of spelunking is proffered.

Viva Evo Morales!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said...

Sadly, I probably would have responded, "okay? I really like beef barley..."

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said...

Cookie,

For the record, Latinos make the best soup.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that "quieres arroz con popote?" is much more effective.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger DC Cab Rider said...

So the next time I need a cab, I can try making him soup? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home