El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Friday, February 24, 2006

Virginia: A little trip con Miguel

“El Guapo. El Guapo, wake up!”

I close my eyes tighter because for some reason I think he’ll go away. He doesn’t. He never does. Porque? I’ll tell you why. Miguel is what they call a bona fide dirty cabron. There he is in all of his unshaven glory to bother me with something that is sure to be a complete waste of my time.

What! Que quieres?

“I’m out of condoms.”

Have you ever stared at someone and realized, as you bit the sides of your mouth, that they will never fully understand anything you say to them? Si? God bless him.

I already gave you all my condoms you dirty, dirty son of a goat. I’m out. No tengo mas. What the hell are you doing over there? You’re like a machine. Go to CVS.

“No way. I’m not going back there anymore. Nunca mas. I can’t afford their prices anymore. I’m tired of this El Guapo. I’m spending almost $200 a month. Why are condoms so expensive? Everywhere I go I see the signs about being safe, and HIV, and unwanted pregnancy, and herpes, and this and that, it’s such a waste. If the government is so worried about all of these things, why don’t they just make it so that condoms are cheaper?”

Son of a bitch, Miguel just pretty much described a government subsidy for condoms. For a split segundo, and please trust me when I say that it was just a fleeting moment, I actually thought about telling Miguel about government subsidies. But you know what? This is just too much for him right now.

Miguel, I think it’s time that I take you to a place that sells condoms at a better price. Miguel, I’m going to introduce you to Costco.

We got on the blue line at McPherson Square and off we went to Pentagon City’s Costco. Miguel was full of questions, but I put my hat over my eyes and tried to grab a quick nap.

Once we got there, Miguel was looked at me in amazement. He took of his hat and said, “That’s a coffin.”

Si, they sell everything here.

“It has a Lady of Guadalupe on it. That’s a Latino coffin. This place sells coffins for Latinos.”

Si, they even sell coffins for Latinos.

“You knew about this place and you never told me?”

Miguel, let’s not worry about that right now. Let’s get you some condoms.

I don’t usually go to Costco very often because 1)It’s located outside of DC in Virginia; 2) I’m afraid of Virginia; 3)Virginians live there; 4)I don’t trust the blue and orange line crowd. They all have beady eyes.

I take him to the condom isle and he immediately grabbed a box in amazement.

This is my kind! Forty condoms for $9.69? Is this a broma?”

All of a sudden my man does a little salsa dance in the middle of the store while a Virginian mother with beady eyes held her children closer. Then I see Miguel starts to do some kind of calculation with his finger and simultaneously places two boxes at a time in the cart. He stops at 10 boxes, walks away, and then goes back for two more.

Miguel, that’s a lot of condoms. We can come back

He ignores me because he’s upset that I’ve never told him about Costco.

The cash register was interesting. He places all of the boxes in front of the cashier (I show her my membership card) and smiles with content. The cashier laughs along with a couple of other employees as they look over at my amigo’s purchase. The whole scene is comical and even I break a smile while looking away and rubbing my eyes.

“Yes. So what? I fuck a lot.”

You can’t take this chico anywhere…

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

15 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't DC have a free condom initiative program like NYC?

https://a816-health17ssl.nyc.gov/CondomOrder/

Actually, there's even been something in the news recently about NYC distributing condoms with the city seal on them.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger La'Tina said...

I ride the orange line, you can trust me and you were in my hood. can i borrow your card? I need tp, razors and tuna.

gracias

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

That miguel... he sure gets around!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger theinebriantgrape said...

kayla - i think miguel is already "helping himself".

el guapo - you have got serious amor for miguel to take his ass to costco for latex.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

El Guapo - I can't even touch this one.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Andraste said...

I am glad Miguel uses condoms.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said...

As long as he doesn't show the women his condom stash. Then they'd either want to marry him immediately, or run the other way.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Bases Loaded said...

yeah, you could go to the pp on 16th street for free ones, but you have to breach the line of creepy religious protesters first. with their plastic fetuses and stuff. you're better off dealing with beady eyed virginians. and does the pp have shoe boxes of twizzlers? they most certainly do not.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Sandra Dee said...

That poor woman at the store! She probably flipped!

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Guapo,

I'm from Virginia, and although I escaped since many virginians scare me too...you don't have to worry about all of us. At least it's not southern Virginia, no?

- phill

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Guys like Miguel, on a mission, never will go away, not ever. You are a hero. Bravo.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger El Barbudo said...

I've added your site to my list of blogs I print off to wipe my arse with. It's a sign of respect.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I rember Miguel from an episode of Springer.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Namaste said...

Great story!

Loved this post!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger The Goo said...

Oh, that was the most f'ed up story I've ever heard. You went to Virginia? Without being forced at gunpoint?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home