El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Art

I was in New York City this week visiting an amigo of mine who is doing well for himself. In the true Guatemalan spirit, he is letting the world know that we also have the brains to along with our amazing looks. After this little visit, I have decided to contemplate the direction in mi vida and have decided to become an artist.

You may be thinking that with my looks, I am already an artist as I bring beauty to the world, but this is not enough. I cannot be in many places and the weather is getting cold, so I am unable to walk up and down the street for more than a couple of minutes a day. Besides, it isn’t fair that only the residents of Washington DC get to see my mustache in all of its glory. So, I have decided to become an artist. A photographer. This way, I will be able to bring the beauty of the world seen through the eyes of a Guatemalan to more people.

What does my trip to New York have to do with my becoming a photographer? Bueno, at mi amigo’s gallery, I walked around looking at the prices and made the determination that the people who are buying the $40,000 pictures of banana plants, $2.5 million picture of grocery stores and $300,000 stenciled expletives are getting duped.

This picture of a banana tree is $40,000?

“El Guapo, it isn’t just a banana tree. The artist is trying to send us a message of the forgotten simplicity of life. Look at the lighting and how the banana tree is positioned slightly to the left of the frame. Look at the yellow leaf which looks out of place which symbolizes a place where society will never be again amongst nature and purity.”

Huh. Interesante. So, you basically say things like that so the gringos pay $40,000 for this, right?

“Yeah, pretty much.”

Forty thousand dollars for a picture of a banana plant with a yellow leaf. I figure that I can do this for a lot less and the investment potential is far greater because I will be the first contemporary, Guatemalan photographer from Washington DC with a mustache to break into the art scene. So, this is my first run at my new art:


What does this picture, titled "Honey por favor", really allows you to see? How is our artist feeling emotionally? Here we have a simple household sweet which is a bit more than half full. Or is it? Is the angle of the photograph giving the viewer an illusion of the bottle being half full or is the artist trying to portray the frustration of a life that always has a willing spoon that always finds itself empty? The old hardwood floor portrays a solid foundation on which life is based. Wood being the sacrifice a tree gave to allow the artist to have a sweet life. Estimated Price: $69.99

This photograph, titled "Switch of mi vida", is so profound that one must sit down to fully grasp its meaning. Taken in the artist's home, at a glance it shows a simple light switch with an unfortunate choice of color in the background. It is, however, much more than just this. The artist, having roots in the country of Guatemala uses this picture as a way to show that although he is immersed in a culture that may not appreciate the lime green color of his wall (here, his cultural identity) that he is unable to simply turn his Latino-ness on and off. The white of the light switch symbolizes the comformity pressed upon his heritage and the light of the picture shows his refusal to turn it off. This is a perfect example of the new Guatemalan art that is sweeping the art scene. Expected price: $119.94

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

18 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger E :) said...

It's art so therefore I can't question it, I guess. But that doesn't mean I have to buy a $40,000 picture of a banana plant!

 
At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hilarious (and very sweet).

L.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Ah, but do you have nice frames for them El Guapo - presentation counts for so much

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Ashok said...

El Guapo. If you can find it - read The Painted Word by Tom Wolfe. Then you can sell your paintings for more ;-)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Don't forget to photograph your flan, El G.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger C'est la vie!! said...

LOL...so funny yet so true...

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

Are you having a 2-for-1 special on your photos? I have a standing offer of $5 -- photos must be framed.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said...

Ar-Jew-tino??? An Argentinean wishes to purchase my art? At a discount? This isn't Calle Florida in Buenos Aires, Che.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha oh man. those are some excellent photos.

too bad the bottle of honey didn't have a moustache.

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having such a bad day but your posting today made me laugh out loud and for that I thank you for being such a witty sarcastic writer.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Namaste said...

haha.

hee hee...

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Guapo, your art immediately brings to mind the often-quoted poem:

"Beauty is truth
and truth is beauty;
that is all you know on earth,
and all you need to know."

And yes, frames would be nice.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

I like the first pic. You could mat and frame it, and set up a booth at one of the many local art faires. There were about 50 over the fall. (Seriously!)

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Guapo, I admit that I'm no expert. But if you plan to market your photographs professionally, you might want to use something more advanced than a camera cellphone.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Face said...

NO! It is not the method used, but the FEEELING and IDEEAS behind the artworks that make them REAL ART MAN, and therefore worth $50 to 100 K.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Face said...

My comment above is directed at anonymous above that, btw

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More! More!
My appetite for true art SCREAMS for more!

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your artwork. I think you are a creative genius. Can I buy them and pay in rupees?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home